Welcome to my book blog!

I usually read books that pertain to the Supernatural/Paranormal genre. My blog will include books about vampires, witches, wolves, ghosts, and pretty much any other "not normal" thing. I just read for fun and thought this would be a great way to get my opinion on the so many books that I read, out there for everyone else to see! This is a very informal blog for me. Just my opinions and recommendations!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Eden's Root (Eden's Trilogy Book #1)


Title: Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy Book #1)


Author: Rachel Fisher


Publication Date: 12/17/2011


My Rating: ★★★★☆


Synopsis:


The year is 2033 and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional.




Wow, I must say when I first read the synopsis I was worried that I may not really like the book. It was a very long read but my gosh I am so glad I took the time to read it!

When you start the story Fi is only 13 and her father tells her a huge secret. The food that everyone has been eating is what has been causing Cancer. Her father is dying of cancer in the beginning of the book and you see just how tight she is with her father and how she wants his approval on everything. At just 13 she starts hard core training. She takes herself to the limit with fighting and learning to use a bow and a gun. When it all finally comes to a head and she is forced to take herself and her Family, including the family next door, it is fast paced and very intense. This girl who is now only 14 years old is fighting for survival of not only herself but many other people as well.

Maggie is Fi's mother and the way the author portrays her is wonderful. There's a part in the story that says "you only need five minutes to fall in love with Maggie" and I definitely think that is true. Now I hate spoilers and I try not to have them in my reviews, but there was a point in the story where Maggie deteriorates very quickly and I actually cried. Now those who know me know that I am not a big cry type person, but yes, I actually cried. You come to love Maggie so much in this story it feels like a huge loss without her.

I love how the author makes Fi into such a strong woman even though she is only a child. I found myself forgetting that she was only 14-15 throughout the story and it took my breath away to have that fact brought to light every time her age was brought up. I like that she is fearless but she states that it isn't bravery that drives her, its rage. I can definitely understand where her rage is coming from. She lost her parents and is now moving an entire family across the U.S. to get to Eden which she isn't 100% sure she'll find.

The love that blossoms between Fi and Asher is quick and expected. I definitely figured out that they would end up together from the beginning of Asher in the story. But it was still a great read.

There was so much to take in while reading this book so this isn't even half of the stuff that I could possibly say about it. But it was an amazing read. It actually made me think about the food that we do have and how this quite possibly could be a real life situation. Kind of makes me want to only eat fruits and veggies that I myself grow and learn how to fight and survive on my own in case I ever had to do that. Definitely a great read for anyone who likes dystopian type books. I will most certainly be recommending this and can't wait to read the next book in this series.

*Thank you very much to the author, Rachel Fisher, for allowing me to read and review her book. It was amazing!*

No comments:

Post a Comment